One of North America’s leading rehabilitation sciences centres, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute is revolutionizing rehabilitation by helping people overcome the challenges of disabling injury, illness or age-related health conditions to live active, healthier, more independent lives. It integrates innovative patient care, groundbreaking research and diverse education to build healthier communities and advance the role of rehabilitation in the health system. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Associate Technical Analyst in our Cardiology department.
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
Working under supervision of senior staff, the Associate Technical Analyst exercises good judgment and decision-making in utilizing established policies and procedures to resolve problems. This may include: conducting telephone recruitment interviews to collect study participant data using established criteria; preparing detailed notes of all interactions with participants and transfers data to appropriate systems; coordinating necessary data flow both internally as well as externally with collaborators from other sites; participating in qualitative analyses of data collected from participants; assisting in interpretation of results and preparation of material for presentation; conducting literature searches; and scholarly activities and performing other duties consistent with job classification, as requested.
This position is for a data specialist to join a diverse team of technical professionals to perform extraction and preparation of data for research and quality of care improvement projects. A significant part of this job will involve mapping out relational databases to discover the location of data fields desired for various research requirements, and SQL queries to extract that data. Another aspect will be developing software in Golang to query relational or no-SQL (MongoDB) data sources. These tasks will involve familiarity with Windows and Linux systems, using both GUI and command-line tools.
The selected candidate will be responsible for fulfilling data requests for various projects by becoming deeply familiar with a large array of data holdings across the hospital. As the capabilities of the team grow, the work is expected to change and become more centralized with focus on our MongoDB data lake.
While this position does not require a previous expertise in medical-domain knowledge, it will require an ability to conceptualize how relationships between concepts in a medical procedure are stored in a database and an ability to use this knowledge to appropriately fulfill requests for data. An aptitude for bridging the domains of data storage and medical knowledge in order to understand and communicate with clinicians is essential to success in this role.
- Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, related field or recognized equivalent required
- At minimum, one (1) year related experience required, experience in medical or research environment preferred
- Excellent accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to apply research principles, concepts and techniques relating to data collection and management
- Excellent computer skills in MS Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Experience with statistical/data management software an asset
- Experience with any/all: Golang, Python, Java, C#, C, C++; Golang preferred
- Experience with CI tools: GitlabCI, no-SQL (MongoDB), GraphQL, and/or FHIR considered an asset
- Experience with medical standards: HL7, DICOM
- Experience with “Big Data” tools such as Map/Reduce and Hadoop
- Strong experience with relational databases and SQL
- Comfortable with both Windows and Linux tools
- Self-motivated and able to learn new technologies quickly
- Experience working in highly regulated industries
- Ability to function productively on multiple project teams simultaneously
- Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated critical thinking and problem solving ability
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
- Ability to manage competing demands of short and long-term projects, tasks and responsibilities
- Demonstrated customer service orientation with excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Good to work in such a gigantic organization with over 30,000 employees and get to know how hospital system in Canada works. Good staff benefits, 6 insurance plans to pick from.
Everyone is very kind and welcome. The environment is super easy is adapt. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the patients and helping them.
I am a dialysis nurse who works on a nocturnal unit. I like the team i work with, the manager is very helpful & the NP , DR are very easy to work with. They actually value the input of the nurses who see the patients alot more than they do.
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.