So what’s it like to work at Staples? Exciting. Fun. Collaborative. Encouraging. Diverse. We’re on a journey to become The Working and Learning Company – a company that’s committed to be a dynamic, inspiring partner for all our customers.
The Working and Learning Company
We inspire people to work smarter, learn more and grow every day. We are here to be a trusted ally, a resource and a sounding board, motivated to support our customers with expert knowledge, unique products and innovative services from solutionshop, made for the changing needs of today’s entrepreneurs, teachers, parents and students.
Our Purpose and Values
We inspire people to work smarter, learn more and grow every day.
At Staples our values guide our daily actions, its what we believe and stand for.
• We Own It
We are accountable, responsible and act with urgency. We bring our best every day, it’s how we play to
• We Are Partners
We offer more than just products and services. We have one common goal; to deliver solutions to our
customers; allowing them to turn their goals into reality.
• We Are One Team
We do great things because we embrace the power of working together.
• We Care
We create a community through meaningful experiences and relationships with every person we
DescriptionThe Strategic Account Leader (SAL) is responsible for managing and leading our engagement with customers in order to increase revenue and profit. This is done by providing solutions tailored to customer needs, achieving sales targets in all product categories and positioning Staples with key executives and decision makers. This position also requires knowledge of key product categories including: Office Supplies, Furniture, Facilities and Break Room Supplies, Technology and Print. The SAL will be expected to interface and lead the interactions with customers, other departments, other SALs and all levels of the Staples organization to meet customer needs and drive sales.
QualificationsKey Job Responsibilities
- Manage and drive sales growth, gross profit margin, product category penetrations and other key metrics with assigned accounts.
- Lead and facilitate the account planning process with team members to establish long term growth plans for accounts.
- Develop and execute specific sales plans to achieve sales and margin targets.
- Establish and maintain relationships with customers based upon Staples value proposition as provider of solutions to tailored their individual needs.
- Cultivate and safeguard (along with product category specialists) the overall customer relationship by interfacing with customer’s highest buying and management levels.
- Regularly review the performance of each customer pertaining to strategic account planning execution and category penetration to determine and establish further growth plans
- Analyze sales trends, reports and other data to determine long term strategic growth plans
- Team and collaborate with product category experts to understand strategic solution opportunities and programs; and the potential for value added impact at all customer sites as well as to assist on program roll-outs and implementations.
- Manage program implementation for new customers.
- Manage contract renewal process, program updates and expansion for all customers in the territory.
- Manage and lead Quarterly Business Reviews for customers
- Utilize salesforce.com to track account and planning activities.
Education/Experience Equivalent (minimum requirements)
- HS Diploma
- BA/BS Preferred
- Bachelors degree preferred
- Minimum of 4-6 years of business development experience
- Experience and proven track record of managing programs or business development
- Solid knowledge of Office Supplies including: facility and breakroom, technology products, business furniture, print and promotional products.
- Ability to interface at customer’s most senior levels
- Strong ability to develop and deliver presentations
- Consultative selling, solutions selling, insight selling, negotiation and advanced client management skills.
- Ability to set targets, design growth plans and lead strategic account planning with product category team members.
- Strong business, financial, operations and technology acumen. Including ability to analyze customer data, business and industry trends to create tailored solutions for customers based upon Staples value proposition.
- Ability to function independently with minimal daily supervision.
Other Skills (e.g. specialized training, language proficiency, functional expertise etc.)
- Computer literacy including competency related to MS Office applications.
- Experience with Sales Tracking softwares (Salesforce) a plus
- Understanding of E-procurement and mobile procurement processes.
Staples is an equal opportunity employer and an accommodation will be provided during the hiring process if requested.
Come Join Us
We look for people who are curious, approachable, passionate, and who enjoy finding solutions.
If that’s you, let’s work, learn and grow together.