The University of Calgary Medical Clinic in the Cumming School of Medicine is currently seeking two (2) Full-time Regular Medical Transcriptionist(s).
Reporting to the Manager, Transcription Services. The Medical Transcriptionist provides top quality multi-disciplinary transcription service to 1400 Faculty members, residents, fellow and clinical clerks in the Cumming School of Medicine.
Medical Transcriptionist duties include the interpretation and transcription of dictation by UCMG member physicians and their trainees across all medical specialties, to document patient care and facilitate continuity of health care services, related medical transcription functions and other clerical duties as required.
As a Medical Transcriptionist, you will be responsible to interpret, transcribe and edit medical dictation by physicians, residents, fellows and clerks. You will produce records of patient care, interpreting and transcribing medical dictated reports accurately and efficiently in accordance with University of Calgary standards, regulations and policies.
This position has moderate to high physical demands – keyboarding for up to 7 hours per day with only intermittent breaks for stretching/movement. Individuals have minimal interaction with fellow employees.
The position is limited in terms of variety and growth. There will be an opportunity to transition to a home-based environment once departmental criteria are met (productivity and accuracy).
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Provide medical transcription for the Cumming School of Medicine, Transcription Services Department
- Meet and maintain quality and performance standards in order to provide high quality medical transcription to Faculty members, residents, fellow and clinical clerks in an expeditious manner
- Keep up-to-date with ongoing changes in the department relative to processes and procedures
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with fellow employees and support personnel
- Provide input to enhance systems and streamline work processes
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent
- Graduate of recognized medical transcription program
- Thorough knowledge of medical science (anatomy/physiology, pharmacology and investigative procedures).
- Accurate and efficient keyboarding skills required with minimum of 60 wpm
- Recent clinical medical transcription experience/skills
- Knowledge of medical transcription guidelines and practices as outlined in the AHDI Book of Style
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows-based PC environment/applications/network environment
- Ability to make mature judgments, using excellent critical thinking skills, communicate effectively, promote positive working relationships, and work as a team player
- Ability to concentrate for long periods of time with an aptitude for attention to detail
- Excellent eye-hand and auditory coordination with superior listening skills
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload to meet established departmental turnaround times
- Recent experience editing medical dictation using dictation system with integrated speech recognition
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office required, especially MS Office 2013 with Skype 2015
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including English language usage, grammar, punctuation and style, with an ability to maintain and accuracy level of 98%
Application Deadline: July 15, 2019
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Operational/Administrative Job Family, Phase III.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website. For more information about the Cumming School of Medicine visit Careers in the Cumming School of Medicine.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply,