Under the general supervision of the Manager – Patient Care, the RPN/RN is responsible for providing professional nursing services for patients, including those with complex and unpredictable health needs. These services include independent nursing services, administration of intervention and treatments, a leadership role within the healthcare team, and facilitating coordination of patient care and discharge. Demonstrates a commitment to the vision, values, goals, and objectives of the region/facility/unit.
Requisition ID: 23669
Position Number: 20082397
Posting End Date: June 1, 2019
Site: Health Sciences Centre
Department / Unit: Patient Care PX3 Forensic
Job Stream: Clinical
Anticipated Start Date: ASAP
Anticipated Shift: Days; Evenings
Daily Hours Worked: 8 hours
Annual Base Hours: 2015
- RPN or
- RN – Two years of recent, related mental health experience or an RN who has recently completed a senior practicum in mental health or an RN with a Canadian Nursing Association certificate in Mental Health required.
- Graduate of an approved Registered Psychiatric Nursing program or approved Registered Nursing program required.
- Registered Psychiatric Nurse preferred.
- Responsible for maintaining and providing proof of active registration with the College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Manitoba (CRPNM) or the College of Registered Nurses of Manitoba (CRNM).
- Active participation in professional associations e.g. Association of Registered Nurses of Manitoba (ARNM) preferred.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) training requirements for this position shall be in accordance with the applicable policy.
Qualifications and Skills
- Knowledge of:
- College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses/Registered Nurses of Manitoba Standards of Practice for Registered Psychiatric/Registered Nurses.
- College of Registered Psychiatric/Registered Nurses of Manitoba Code of Ethics for Registered Psychiatric/Registered Nurses.
- Scope of practice as documented in the Registered Nurses Act (Registered Psychiatric Nurses Act for RPNs in Mental Health).
- Regional/Facility/Unit policies, procedures, protocols, and guidelines.
- Nursing care knowledge related to clinical area.
- Personal Health Information Act (PHIA), Protection of Persons in Care Act, Mental Health Act, Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (WHMIS), Principles of Routine Practices (Universal Precautions) and other legislated acts.
- Roles and responsibilities of members of the healthcare team.
- Principles of delegation.
- Demonstrated effective oral and written communication skills.
- Preference will be given to those applicants competent in an Indigenous language and/or knowledge in Indigenous customs, traditions and values.
- Demonstrated critical thinking/problem solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize care for an individual patient or group of patients.
- Ability to delegate care appropriately and monitor outcomes of delegated care.
- Ability to respond to a variety of simultaneous demands.
- Ability to recognize and pursue self-development opportunities.
- Ability to perform independently and as a member of the healthcare team.
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing situations.
- Ability to maintain concentration with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to function in a demanding and stressful environment.
- Good physical and mental health.
- Moderate to heavy physical effort required.
We have a unique ability to work together to make health care better. If you want to make a difference and contribute to supporting the health of your family, friends and neighbours, please apply today.
Interested candidates should select the apply the “Apply” icon below to upload their cover letter, resume and copy of licenses/certification.
This position requires a current satisfactory Criminal Records Check (including Vulnerable Sector Search), Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check as conditions of employment. The successful candidate will be responsible for any service charges incurred. A security check is considered current if it was obtained no more than six (6) months prior to the start of employment.
Please note that an employee is not permitted to hold two or more positions in Shared Health that combine to equal more than 1.0 FTE.
Shared Health values and supports employment equity and workplace diversity and encourages all qualified individuals to apply. We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.